Published on 27 December 2020
Garmin Express is a desktop application and software that helps you update your maps, software updates, and comprehensive management of all Garmin devices. Also, It will help you to register as well as sync your new Garmin devices and store fitness data. Garmin is a company that produces gadgets/devices that employ the global positioning system for navigational assistance. These devices include hand-held GPS devices and Automotive devices.
It is primarily used to update your firmware, maps, golf course updates (with compatible devices)
Moreover, This software will store information to notify you of the latest updates.
Additionally, Garmin Express has a slight overlap with Garmin connect. Garmin Connect is a web-based platform that manages you and your data and your activities as well.
To use Garmin express, you need to sync it with the Garmin device and follow on-screen instructions.
Garmin Express System Requirements
Your PC configuration must meet these requirements to run the Garmin express application smoothly and efficiently.
- Require Windows 7 SP1 or newer, Microsoft .NET 4.5.2 (included)
- Must have 1024 x 768 display, USB port, and 1 GB RAM
- High-speed Internet access (Not for use with dial-up, mobile or satellite connection)
- Users May require up to 20 GB free disk space
- Require OS X 10.10 or newer
- Must have 1440 x 900 display, USB port, and 1 GB RAM
- High-speed Internet access (Not for use with dial-up, mobile or satellite connections)
- Mac Users May require up to 20 GB free disk space
Compatibility Issues and Errors
- Incompatibility Messages.
You may see an alert where it says, “Garmin express is not compatible with your OS.” This type of error appears because your computer or the current version of windows/mac does not meet the requirements to run the express software.
Chromebooks and Linux operating systems are not compatible with this software.
Windows: If the above requirements are already met for windows, Windows users can disable the compatibility mode in the settings to fix this error.
Mac: Mac users may need to use a different computer as mac does not support the compatibility mode or the function to change/alter it.
Steps to disable the compatibility mode
- Please visit the downloads folder in your pc
- Now right-click the installation file.
- Now, in this drop-down, find (properties)
- Under the “compatibility” tab, click on “change the settings for all users.”
- Uncheck all the boxes here and hit ok.
How do I download Garmin Express software application
To begin with, you will need to start free Garmin express download on your Windows 10 or mac. Then, You can visit garmin.com/express and select the right download option for your operating system. Express software enables you to perform map updates in a few minutes or hours, depending upon the internet’s speed.
NOTE: This application will not support Chromebook, Linux, Android, and ios phones/devices and is unavailable on the app store or play store.
Things to check Before initiating the download
- Ensure if you have a good internet connection. A slow network may stop the download.
- Make sure your internal or hard disk has enough space for the installation.
- Check system requirements and compatible devices lists from the content above.
- Make sure your antivirus service is active to prevent infections and threats from the internet.
- Confirm if the site/source is providing the latest version of the software.
- Verify administrator privileges on your computer’s settings.
Download instructions for windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10
- First of all, On your windows based computer, open your favorite/current internet browser
- Now, type garmin.com/express in the web address bar, and press enter.
- Then you have to wait for the webpage to appear/load on the screen
- On the official site of Garmin, navigate to the download for the windows button.
- Now, Press the download button to continue.
- On google chrome, The file download progress will appear on the left-hand side bottom corner.
- Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft edge often ask what to do with this type of file.
- There will be options like open, save, save as, run, cancel. You can select these options to your preference.
- Then, click on the save icon to put the Garminexpress.exe file into the default download location, i.e., c:\downloads). Otherwise, click run to start the installation right away.
- Now, you have successfully downloaded the setup file.
Download Instructions for Mac OS
- First, click on the Safari browser to open it. (if you prefer chrome or Mozilla on mac, instructions will be the same.
- Now, Start typing in “garmin.com/express” in the web address bar on the top
- Then, Locate the download link or an icon to begin downloading the app.
- A dmg file “garminexpress.dmg” will appear after a few seconds.
- You can hit the Show Downloads button on the top-right corner of the browser window.
- At last, Your setup file is on the computer now.
How to Install Garmin Express
Here we will explain the installation procedure for the express software on an operating system such as windows and mac. Please check the software requirements before starting the process.
Note: This application does not support Chromebook, Linux, Android, ios operating systems.
Steps to Install Garmin Express on windows device
- First, you have to Browse the setup (installation file) from the downloads folder
- Now, Press the buttons (ctrl + j) at the same time to locate the downloaded item
- Now, Double click on the garminexpress.exe or garminexpressinstallerexe file to run it.
- Then, click on the install button.
- Click on terms and conditions to read them.
- After reviewing the terms and conditions, then click the checkbox to confirm or agree to install.
- Further, you can change the location of the install by clicking (options)
- A windows popup will appear, asking if you want to make changes to your device. Select yes,
- A progress bar in green will show you component files such as (Garmin Express Tray, Elevated Installer, Garmin Update Services, ANT Drivers Installer x64) transferring to your computer.
- At last, After the successful installation, you can click the Launch Garmin Express button.
Steps to Install Garmin Express on mac device
- First, find the setup file (garminexpress.dmg) from your browser’s download folder.
- Then, On chrome or safari, press and hold Cmd+J on your keyboard.
- Now, you can click the download icon in the upper right corner to select the desired file on Safari and Mozilla firefox.
- Find and open garminexpress.dmg or garminexpressinstaller.dmg
- In this new window, double click on the Install Garmin Express.pkg.
- The package file will ask you to select a continue so that you can read the license agreement.
- Then, press continue after reading, then click agree and then install.
- A prompt on mac will appear for the admin username and password.
- Provide correct information and click install the software.
- At last, The installation was successful.
Garmin Express Installation/Launch Issues and Troubleshooting
“The app you’re trying to install isn’t a verified app from the Store.”
This error generally occurs when you have purchased a new computer or have never installed third-party software outside the Microsoft store.
To fix this problem, you can download an app called ” switch out of s mode” to run the app. Also, for more information, go to the Microsoft store troubleshoot site.
“Garmin Express does not Launch or Open on a Windows / MAC Computer.”
On some computers, the application does not indicate whether it is working or not. Moreover, it never displays an error message as it never opens or launches.
“Service failed to start” or “Unable to connect to background services” Error in Garmin Express on Windows·
However, these symptoms may accompany some of these error messages on the screen like
- Garmin Express has stopped working
- Unable to connect to background services
- Service failed to start
- An unexpected error has occurred, and Garmin Express must close
- Garmin Express quit unexpectedly
- Garmin Express failed to start
- Make sure you have the up-to-date and latest version of Garmin express.
- Please run the application as an administrator to resolve permission related issues. Also, Mac users can create a new admin user account if they are using a guest account.
- You can try to get the latest windows updates as well as mac updates as it may fix the issue quickly.
- Force close the app in the task manager(windows) or force quit(mac) and then relaunch it.
- At last, Do a complete uninstall of the application and then restart the computer to begin the installation process again.
If the mentioned steps to fix the issues do not help, then please contact Garmin support center.
How do I add and remove the Garmin devices in the Garmin Express application
After successful download and installation, you will need to connect your GPS unit with the computer via USB cable or an ANT stick to access all of the features. Once the Garmin unit is connected to the computer, you can quickly transfer updates to your device. Also, this application will manage all of your devices on a single interface.
Note: Some of the sports and fitness watches do not come with a USB cable, as they do not have USB ports because of their smaller designs. Therefore, you will need an ANT stick( a connector) to create a connection with your computer. Please follow the instructions to add or remove a device.
Instructions for adding a device
- Open the Garmin Express application on your windows or mac computer.
- Plug in your device via USB cable or an ANT stick.
- You will see your device name, serial number, and device found notification.
- Now click “Add a device” button.
Instructions for removing a device
- Launch Garmin express on your windows or mac computer.
- Now right-click on the device name or model.
- You will see a notification asking you to delete backup data (saved places, waypoints, and routes).
- In case you wish to remove the backup, click the checkbox.
- Click the “Remove from express” button.
Common Communication issues with Garmin Express
Sometimes, when you connect your Automotive Device with a computer, your pc may not detect it. And when your computer recognizes it, Garmin express fails to identify the device.
You will also see that some Fitness devices may not connect via ANT stick.
Also, You can follow the step-by-step guide below to resolve these problems or get in touch with the Garmin support center.
NOTE: On Mac OS Catalina 10.15, you will need to allow permissions in system preferences so that the computer can detect the device as a removable volume. For step by step, guide, contact our support experts.
Detection issues and troubleshooting steps with an automotive device on a windows or mac
- Ensure that your GPS device screen shows a yellow icon that displays an ongoing connection to a pc.
- Please note that some automotive devices do not display any icon whatsoever. these models are Camper/RV 785, Camper/RV 890, dezl 780, dezlCam 785, dezl LGV/OTR800, dezl LGV/OTR1000, and Garmin Catalyst Overlander
- Make sure that your mac or windows computer recognizes the USB connection. Whenever a computer detects a connection, it will display that device as a portable or removable storage disk.
- An error popup “USB Device Not Recognized“ is indicative of the fact that there is a connection issue.
- We recommend that you use the cable provided with your GPS unit.
- Ensure you have the data cable as there are two types of cables; data cable and charging cable. If a message “unknown device” appears in the windows device manager or finder(mac), then try a new cable.
- Mac computers with a USB-C port will require an adapter to plug into your automotive device.
- Please check the USB ports on your computer if they are working correctly.
- Avoid using USB hubs and extension cables.
- Connect your data cable to the GPS unit directly and avoid plugging it on the mount as USB ports on mounts do not transfer data.
- Ensure you have the latest version of the express application.
- In case if the mentioned steps do not resolve the issue. Please do a full uninstall of this application, restart your computer and install it again from garmin.com/express.
- Above all, if you are still struggling to fix the issue, please contact your computer manufacturer or call the Garmin support center.
ANT stick pairing issues and troubleshooting steps
- Make sure to press and hold the button to enable Pairing mode on your fitness device. It will display “PAIR.”
- Verify that software is up to date.
- Properly check the USB ANT stick connection. Besides that, You can try using a different USB port.
- Please close the application and restart the computer and try PAIRING again.
- Now, Eliminate any wireless device using Bluetooth, wifi, and infrared capabilities.
- Your Garmin device should not be placed far away from your ANT stick. No more than 9 feet is recommended.
- Restart the device and pair it again. If the issue is not resolved with the methods mentioned above, try resetting your ANT+ Fitness Device.
Garmin Express – Register and Login to sync your device
You can register your new or an exchanged Garmin GPS device by setting up an online account profile. So, this profile will save your personalized details to ensure you have access to the latest information. Moreover, you can easily login to manage your data. On the other hand, you can find your registered devices at one centralized location along with all subscriptions and downloadable contents that you may add in the future.
In device theft and stolen cases, Registration will verify that you are the owner of the device.
Steps To register your device
1. First, attach your Garmin device to your PC with a USB cable.
2. Now, Open the app and click on Add a device
3. When you see the device name and serial number, click Add device.
4. Now, in the blank box, enter your preferred email address for Registration and press next.
5. you can choose a nickname for your device if needed after that, click next.
6. Now, You can agree or disagree with the data collection prompt.
7. Press yes to confirm or press no to deny.
8. At last, your device is registered successfully.
Features and benefits of Registration
- Garmin servers will save your information like name, contact, language as well as location.
- All of your new and old subscriptions will be listed for easier management.
- Look at your permitted data consents.
- A combined list of Garmin emails regarding product support.
- Contact history with Garmin for support.
- Content and subscriptions list.
Common Issues While Registering and Adding a device
Some technical obstacles can create problems while registering your device. It could be related to your computer’s operating system, USB cables, display, or internet connection. Let us diagnose the most common issues below.
Garmin Express improper size and fit on the computer display
The display cut off usually happens when your computer does not meet the minimum display requirements. Hence, buttons like next or yes do not appear because of the increased size of the application. However, the best solution is changing screen resolution settings and decreasing the size of the text but this trick will work on both windows and mac computers.
Garmin Express shows a Server Error Notification
An internet connection and computer settings can cause these issues. If you witness errors like “We are unable to add this device because our servers are unavailable at this time.” and “Sorry, we’re having a problem communicating with our servers.” then you will need to perform some changes on your computer.
It includes ensuring you have the most recent version of Garmin express, running an internet speed test, restarting your network hardware, checking date and time settings of your pc, disabling internet security/firewall, and disabling your VPN. At the same time, if the mentioned things do not help, please uninstall the application, then you need to restart the computer and reinstall Garmin express again.
Garmin Express Uses And Applications
Garmin express app can be used for a plethora of purposes, from updating the GPS maps, Registration, managing content to loading songs to your wearable gadgets.
Load Playlists and Audio Files from your Windows PC
You can transfer your podcasts, audiobooks, as well as music files to your music enabled Garmin watches and also enjoy them with Bluetooth headphones. And,All music files will appear in the music section in the Garmin express.
Note: Music files from Spotify and apple music will not transfer as they are protected media files.
Map and Software Updates
All Garmin automotive devices can be updated with software or map updates to improve their performance. First, software updates will keep the OS of Garmin up-to-date, resulting in an error-free user experience. In addition, it resolves the most common issues in a single go. Then, map updates will ensure that you have the latest mapping for all-new locations and routes.
Sync with Garmin Connect
Get access to your Garmin Connect account on your computer with Garmin express app. Sync your Garmin watches such as Garmin approach, forerunner, venu, vivofit, Fenix, descant, and tactiX to upload your activity data as well as to download exercise and training plans.
Manage your tools and content within the app. Also, you can change the settings, download the owner’s manuals, and access purchased content such as maps of different regions or countries. Moreover, you can use utilities to back up your favorites or change languages.
Click on Vehicles and voices to change navigation arrows or install voices of the preferred sex. Also, Paid maps can be installed with the instructions received upon your order at garmin.com/express
Marine charts updates
At the same time, if you own one of our marine devices, install the latest charts like BlueChart, LakeVu, directly to your unit with the help of a pre-programmed microSD / SD card and a pc. Also, Download the ActiveCaptain app to update the charts over the wifi.
Redeem your Product key/voucher for map updates
Sometimes map updates or related subscriptions are purchased from offline dealers or an online store where they may provide you with a product key/ voucher code then you can activate them in the Garmin express application with the code provided to load all the latest map updates.
Golf Course Updates
Golf courses around the country are growing rapidly. As a result, your Garmin golf device may not recognize a newly built course. In order to, prevent this problem, you can install the latest updates. Also, Garmin will release course view updates regularly, and all the existing golf courses will be revised after the software update.
Smaller and regional coverage of maps
Suppose you have an old Garmin GPS or do not have the required internal memory to download full Maps coverage, then you can choose a smaller region as desired.